Many times we come across situations when we need to share our computer with others. Though we can give them a separate account to login to but except for the document folders and user folders (which are separate for every account on Windows), the other drives are still open for everyone to see.
Today, I will show you a way, via which you will be able to hide any folder from viewing from any other account other than the admin account. The steps are pretty simple and I have tried my best to explain them with a series of screenshots, still if you get stuck executing them at any moment of time, feel free to approach me through comment section below.
Steps to execute
1) Right click the folder you want to protect and click on ‘Properties’
2) Go to the ‘Security’ tab and click on ‘Edit’
3) Now in the ‘Edit’ options click on ‘Add’
4) On clicking ‘Add’ you will get options to enter the object names. If you are scared since you have no idea what that is, don’t be, since we don’t need to memorize it. Simply click on ‘Advanced’ tab
5) Click on ‘Find Now’ and Windows will find all the usernames/object names on the computer. Find out the ‘Guests’ (or other account from which you want to hide the folder contents) accounts and select the account.
select the Guest account and click on ‘OK’
6) last but most important step, Click on the ‘deny’ option for the ‘List folder contents’. this will ensure that the account does not have the access to see the folder contents
7) Well, you are done now, simply login to your computer as a Guest login. Navigate to the required folder and double click it. you should now get an error popup as shown below. No external softwares. No batch code files. nothing…Done
Do share your opinions if you find this post useful.